I am the first to admit that my view of mankind and the world is cynical and apathetic due to personal experiences gained while travelling around the globe and from studying of history. Still beneath all that shit is an idealist who would like to see the world change into a place dominated logic where people would have more equal opportunities to reach their fullest potential. The source of power, money and success is ability, some have better chances then others to develop their innate skills by training and education.
The change I am talking about does not need to be radical, we can take the best of existing systems and modify them into a new vision. One idea or thing can´t please all, thus, the main goal would be most good for the majority, in the long run. Change, if it occurs, is usually a long process perceived from the standpoint of a single human lifespan. Rapid social changes generally create more damage than prosperity, for example The Great Leap Forward which aimed to transform China hastily from agrarian society to modern communist society trough rapid industrialization and collectivization and resulted to estimated deaths of 18 to over 30 million people.
Change in democratic countries, like the one promised by Obama, tends to be only hollow words or Orwellian doublespeak and things stay as they were four years ago. The problem in a democratic society is the fact that politicians need to please the people who want to see big promises made during elections fulfilled in a short time, this is not possible and in the next elections people vote for the opposition which promises to change things which the current government was unable to do. The cycle of stupidity and stagnation continues.
What we need is combination of kingship and democracy. The power should flow from local to global with the help of modern technology. I think there should be Emperor of the World (EOW) who would be chosen by the global population and appropriate civil servant levels which would be chosen together by the people and recognized team of experts who could determinate if the candidates possess the necessary skills to do their jobs. The major issues would be assigned to EOW who would delegate the work and make sure things progress according to schedule. We are now first time in human history at the point where global communication is possible with just a few clicks. This opens a possibility for a new kind of world government where the global population is making decisions together.
People should agree to certain long term goals and civil servants should commit to fulfill them, if the annual deadlines were not met the people could vote new civil servants and the emperor out of their post. This is democracy working in two directions. The annual tasks would be realistic, concrete and related to the long term goals. This way people could stay in power even decades if they do their job right and this would be a truer form of democracy then the one where we have a chance to vote for a person who gives you false hope of change every fourth year and this person is not accountable in any way to actualize his/her promises. This is a system where the best manipulator gains power instead of the person who would be the most qualified for the post.
Local matters could be dealt locally with the help of internet, the civil servants could consult the people before making decisions on the matters that will directly impact the people living in a certain area. This is not science fiction, all this is possible in places were internet connection is accessible to the whole population which is the case in most Western countries. The task of EOW would be to raise all other countries to the same level and he/she would have to show evidence every year to prove that sufficient progress has been made globally. Here are some examples of long term goals which I think the EOW should focus on.
1. Settlement of other planes and space exploration. This is a primary goal since things we do on this planet will be for nothing if we are not able to explore and expand to space from our cradle of life. It was some smart guy who said that there are only two types of civilizations in the Universe, those who expand beyond their home planet and those who don´t.
2. United Earth (UE) funded medical research which should focus on developing medication and vaccination which would require minimal times of use and would be cost effective. Cheap medical care should be available to the majority of people by 2050 and free to poorest of one billion.
3. All production should include an extra cost that is relative to resources used to make it. This would slow down over consumption and extra money gained this way would be used for conversation of nature. Development of renewable energy sources would logically take place in the long run and this would benefit generations to come.
“Treat the earth well: it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children. We do not inherit the Earth from our Ancestors, we borrow it from our Children.” -Ancient Indian Proverb-
4. When people are healthy and fed, the next logical step is education. Basic education and teaching of world language by 2100 which today would be English that is already spoken around the globe. People who have travelled to another country where people speak a different language then yours know the absurdity of not being able to communicate with another member of your species. World language should not be forces but made available in education system for the majority, this with basic education would increase understanding between people and is the key to a truly united global world.
5. There are too many people in the world, global daily net population growth being over 100 000 people. Important step in reducing suffering is population reduction, this will happen slowly when education level of the people (specially the women) increases but it should be hastened by free birth control and voluntary sterilization in places of high birth rate. Optimal world population would be around 5 billion.
6. Economy systems should be regulated to a point where abuses of people and nature would not be as easy as they are today. Monetary system shouls be connected to real, limited commodities such as gold to prevent creation of money from nothing. Abuses cannot be stopped completely in any system but economic and political abuses should be made on of the worst crimes, even today these crimes lead to more murders and rapes (literal or economic) than any person could commit in his whole life time. This leads us to law and punishment.
7. First of all laws and punishments should be made universal. Laws should be based on logic and severity of the crime, judges should be from all corners of Earth. Prisons have existed for thousands of years and we can all form our own opinions on how well that solution has worked. One option for punishment would be conditioning of the mind with help of neuroscience and psychology (behavior is the result of environment, genes and upbringing and question of Free will might just be the topic of my next text), this is however not possible yet. Another option would be re-educate people who have committed lesser crimes but for harder ones punishment would be forced labor camps that would benefit the global society on some level. This is better than keeping people in confined space, with tax payer’s money, for years. In the case where prisoner is no willing to work he/she would be placed in isolation for the time of ordered in the sentence.
8. When all the conditions mentioned above would be applied to sufficient degree borders of countries would be reduced to what they are, imaginary lines on one planet. Free movement of people would be possible since even the laws are same everywhere. Borders would remain only as tool for management of the masses. Patriotism is sufficient –ism for people possessing lesser cognitive capabilities in other words for dumb rednecks who are not able to see the bigger picture. If there is a good type of patriotism it would be global patriotism for UE and all mankind.
OK. What can I do to implement these changes? Everything begins as a change in an individual mind and creates a new way of thinking. In the end I am a realist but I will still do an experiment. This blog has daily a few dozen views (last Sunday there was a new record 149 daily views, yeah!) thus I do not expect to reach my goal for this experiment which is 100 individual positive comment to support vision of United Earth. What you can do is comment and share this post, if the goal is reached I will be assured this is a good idea and not just a hazy vision of better tomorrow in my mind. At that point I will create a special section for this vision and improve it more, maybe it will even be implemented if enough minds are changed.
When Martin Luther nailed his 95 theses in 1517 to the door of the Castle Church in Wittenberg he created the catalyst for Protestant Reformation which affected the development of the world for hundreds of years. Just think what possibilities an idea, a post, can do today when it can be read not by few thousand people of a medieval city but potentially by over 2 billion of people who have access to internet today. My core believe is aism, thus, I think an idea which consist from least amount of bullshit will prevail in the natural selection of ideologies if people acknowledging it are educated.